Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.
New Question
Specialist Forums > Medical Forum
Posted : March 21, 2016
Medical clearance for recreational diving
I have had medical clearance to dive up to 30 m each year from 2007 onwards following a CABG in 2005. On seeking renewal I was told that my GP does not do examinations any more. The next nearest 3 GP's gave the same tale. Is this to do with dissatisfaction with the new procedure?. Can I get my local GP to provide a clearance acceptable to insurers as they do for HGV drivers? Do PADI have their own list of GP's for this purpose?
Posted : April 4, 2016
Thanks for the enquiry.

GP's are not obliged to sign any form which is outside their NHS contract, and in today's litigious age many feel that they do not have enough experience or knowledge to be comfortable completing diving medical certificates.

PADI does not have a list of specialist diving doctors. Other dive organisations do, eg. BSAC. In general the doctors that act as medical referees for BSAC will sign PADI ones too (that's what I do) so your best bet is to find a local one of those. This site will help:

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Regards, Dr O
Answer provided by Dr Oliver Firth
Dr Ollie Firth
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.
About us | Disclaimer & terms of use | Contact us | Site News | Suggestions | Link to us | Advertising Info
© 2006 Personal Print Ltd