Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.
New Question
Specialist Forums > Medical Forum
Posted : September 1, 2011
I'm off to Murcia, Spain in two weeks. I'm told a 'fit to dive' certificate is mandatory, signed by a doctor. Is my GP qualified to issue this or do I need a proper dive medical?

Posted : September 6, 2011
Thanks for the query.

If you have no medical conditions that need declaring, then your GP may be happy to sign you off. However, if they aren't (and many feel unqualified to do so as they have little training/experience in diving medicine), then you should seek out a doctor with diving medicine training who will be happy to oblige.

Such as myself, of course! 0207 806 4028 if you are in the London area.


Dr O
Answer provided by Dr Oliver Firth
Dr Ollie Firth
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.
About us | Disclaimer & terms of use | Contact us | Site News | Suggestions | Link to us | Advertising Info
© 2006 Personal Print Ltd