Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.
New Question
Specialist Forums > Medical Forum
Posted : January 16, 2008
Hello Doc!
I have recently had a partial collapsed lung and was wandering if it would be advisable to pursue a career in diving. I was at Advanced Level before my accident happened.

Posted : January 17, 2008
Hi. That's very unlucky for you. I assume by "accident" that this was as a result of an injury of some sort, ie. it didn't happen out of the blue? The reason for asking is that pneumothorax (collapsed lung) can be spontaneous, or traumatic, and the advice is very different depending on which type you had. Either way you will need a dive medical to assess your lung function before you dive again, and you may need further investigations, especially if you want to make a career out of diving.
So see your local dive doc, or it's 02078064028 for an appointment if you can get to London...
Regards, Dr O
Answer provided by Dr Oliver Firth
Dr Ollie Firth
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.
About us | Disclaimer & terms of use | Contact us | Site News | Suggestions | Link to us | Advertising Info
© 2006 Personal Print Ltd