Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.
New Question
Specialist Forums > Medical Forum
Posted : March 7, 2007
Where can I get a medical examination to certify that I'm OK for SCUBA diving ?
I live just east of Edinburgh.
I'm 59 years old, I had a cardiac bypass 11-12 years ago, and , when on holiday in Teneriefe I wasn't allowed to dive due to my previous operation..........I would need to be certified fit to dive by a doctor.
Where can I get such certification, I'm going to Madeira at the end of May, and, if possible, would like to try a 'fun dive'.
Posted : March 8, 2007
Yes you need a medical by a certified referee to check your heart can cope with the rigours of diving (although a "fun dive" should not put too much strain on things). The UKSDMC list has one referee in Edinburgh:

Dr G Russell, Bellevue Medical Centre, 26 Huntingdon Place, Edinburgh, EH7 4AT Tel: 0131 552 3305 (h), 0131 5562642 (s), Fax: 0131 557 4430

Bring along any info you have about your op, and the most recent checkup details. Good luck!

Dr O
Answer provided by Dr Oliver Firth
Dr Ollie Firth
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.
About us | Disclaimer & terms of use | Contact us | Site News | Suggestions | Link to us | Advertising Info
© 2006 Personal Print Ltd