Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.
New Question
Specialist Forums > Medical Forum
Question
Posted : April 28, 2006
My husband is 44 years of age and was diagnosed on Wednesday with having DVT “below the knee clot” in one leg and A “leaky valve” in the other.

We are unaware how this has accrued as he has not flown since Christmas and only drives from Southampton to London

At present he is on Heparin till Monday and will be on Wafarine for three months. After these they will review it to see if he will need to carry on with the warfarine.

He has been told that the clot should disperse within six days.

He accepts that he cannot dive whilst having the clot. But he is concerned on what the future holds regarding Diving.

He has a Looe trip booked on the 20th of May, and is hoping that he will be able to dive. The registrar at the hospital doesn’t seem to be sure whether he can dive while on the Warferine.

Please could you advise?

Regards Lorraine


Answer
Posted : April 29, 2006
I thoink that dive is too soon after the DVT, and the warfarin levels may not be stable by then, i suggest waiting til he is off the W, and then revue with a dive doc...
dr j
Answer provided by Dr Oliver Firth
Dr Ollie Firth
Disclaimer:
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.
About us | Disclaimer & terms of use | Contact us | Site News | Suggestions | Link to us | Advertising Info
© 2006 Personal Print Ltd