Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.

All questions are answered by Dr Oliver Firth, one of the doctors at the London Diving Chamber. Dr Firth has had a wide variety of experience as a doctor in both the UK and Australia. He writes regularly for ‘Sport Diver’ Magazine and gives talk on hyperbaric medicine.

Because of the confidential and sensitive nature of advice given in the medical forum, questions DO NOT post direct to the forum page but are sent to the doctor for his comment and reply. Once a reply has been sent, both the question and answer will post to the forum page.

Questions are shown in Red and the answer from Dr Firth is shown in Blue. Once an answer is posted, it is then possible for other users to post additional comments, these are shown in black.

New Question      
topics
Replies
Views
Last Post
Question - We, as a club are shortly going on a dive trip where most dives are 30m +. We have a junior member who has booked a place, along with a her parent ...

Question - Hi, Last year I was diagnosed with Prenicious Anaemia and startedVit B12 Injections. Is it still safefro me to dive and is there any limit to the ...

Question - I suffer with severe calf muscle cramp during and at the end of a dive .Have tried magnesium and zinc tablets,eat bananas drink more water etc.Hav ...

Question - My daughter suffered with ear problems when younger and was treated with gromits in both ears. Having tried diving in a pool it appears that she i ...

Question - My husband is 44 years of age and was diagnosed on Wednesday with having DVT “below the knee clot” in one leg and A “leaky valve” in the other. ...

Question - On holiday last week, someone on the boat managed to descend to 186 feet before the DM caught her up and stuck some air in her jacket ! She's luck ...
22 April Saturday, 8:28 PM
Question - Hi, every time i dive i can clear perfectly fine until i reach 15 m (45 feet). then it is almost impossible to clear, but if i ease down extremely ...
i do have "surfers ear", from years spent in cold water, but my ear canals are still open.
Question - HI, my boyfriend wants to learn to dive. He has been partially deaf since birth with a condition called bilateral nerve deafness with ski slope he ...
Question - I had a medical before I learned to dive. Circumstances haven't changed in the 3 years since then but I haven't been diving for 2 years. Do I ne ...
Question - I started my PADI dive course last summer & was doing my first day open water dive in october. I didnt feel ill at the time although i didnt do th ...
I have had bilateral otitus media once before 12 years ago caused by a strep a virus. I used do lifesaving & do surface dives to 12 feet, after th ...
Question - I have never dived before but I am considering a diving course/ holiday in the near future. I am 37 years old and was diagnosed with type one diab ...
Question - Can you please explain the possible causes of swelling of the right upper lip and cheek following diving.
My buddy is 37, male, fit and healthy. He has had several episodes of painless swelling of his right upper lip over the past year following divin ...
Question - i recently had the joy of being diagnosed with corunary heart disease,and sucsesfully had two stents fitted,i now take asperin75mg,atorvastin10mg, ...
i am 40 years old and conventually perceaved fit ,i have completed several marthons and was training for london 2006 but have put this on hold ?i ...
Question - Hello, I am currently a BSAC Sports diver and have suffered a head injury and consequent seizure/ fit some 6 six weeks ago. This was non diving ...
I have not fitted again since the whack on the head and along with my GP feel this was the soul cause of the seizure.
Question - Can a pfo be that small that it isnt picked up on an echo??
I had DCS in '86, i was within the tables and had a good ascent. I was diagnosed with an air embolism and i also had numb legs from the knees down ...
More forum pages:
Go to page- << Prev Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next Page >>
Disclaimer:
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.