Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.

All questions are answered by Dr Oliver Firth, one of the doctors at the London Diving Chamber. Dr Firth has had a wide variety of experience as a doctor in both the UK and Australia. He writes regularly for ‘Sport Diver’ Magazine and gives talk on hyperbaric medicine.

Because of the confidential and sensitive nature of advice given in the medical forum, questions DO NOT post direct to the forum page but are sent to the doctor for his comment and reply. Once a reply has been sent, both the question and answer will post to the forum page.

Questions are shown in Red and the answer from Dr Firth is shown in Blue. Once an answer is posted, it is then possible for other users to post additional comments, these are shown in black.

New Question      
topics
Replies
Views
Last Post
Question - I was wondering how long it takes for a perforated ear drum to heal and then when it is safe to dive again. Thanks

Question - Is warfarin contra-indicated in diving?

Question - I will be undertaking my start in the diving world next year and hope to take numerous courses and enjoy the sport, even though i have asthma. It ...
11 July Tuesday, 10:30 AM
Question - Hi, I broke a rib at the beginning of April and bruised the muscles again 2 weeks ago. I saw the doctor and had X-Ray taken. They showed that the ...
Question - I broke my heel in three peices on 3rd June 2006. How long should I wait before going diving again? Should I limit depth of dives?
I'd like to dive in the Med this August.
Question - I have logged 100+ 70 in stoney cove during the winter. i am up to padi rescue.i felt i was ok to go deeper that 30m. i hit 33m (stoney cove)and i ...
Question - Hi There I am leaving on Sunday to go diving for 5 weeks (sounds like heaven). I was wondering what i could do to prevent myself getting an ear ...
Question - Hey, I'm an 18-year-old newly qualified Open Water Diver, and on each of the 5 dives I have now been on I've subsequently suffered from really bad ...
3 July Monday, 1:16 PM
Question - I'm scheduled to go to southern Egypt in 2 1/2 weeks. about 3 weeks ago I had terrible pains in my lower back and left leg. I was dianosed as have ...
Question - I have just returned from a weekend diving and the first dive was to around 38m and I descended fairly fast. I sometimes have problems equalising ...
Question - During or after my last two diving holidays I have come down with acute tonsilitis. Two years ago I saw a consultant about persistent swelling ...
I am male, 25, in good health, no health issues other than this. I haven't come down with a sore throat or tonsilitis every time I have dived, but ...
Question - I have had difficulty equalising since I did my padi open water and subsequent sea dives. After dives I go deaf in my right ear which swells, for ...
Question - I have diabetes 2, which is controlled by tablet, also hypertension which is controlled by tablet. would I be able to scuba dive? would I also nee ...
diabetes-metaphormin: 500mg blood pressure: Ramipril 1.25
Question - I had a kidney transplant in 2003 and would now like to learn to scuba dive. I am physically fit as I regularly run and have completed 3 marathons ...
Question - I have type 1 diabetes and I have been diving regularly for apx. 18 months with PADI AOW accreditation. My diabetes is well controlled and I take ...
More forum pages:
Go to page- << Prev Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next Page >>
Disclaimer:
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.