Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.

All questions are answered by Dr Oliver Firth, one of the doctors at the London Diving Chamber. Dr Firth has had a wide variety of experience as a doctor in both the UK and Australia. He writes regularly for ‘Sport Diver’ Magazine and gives talk on hyperbaric medicine.

Because of the confidential and sensitive nature of advice given in the medical forum, questions DO NOT post direct to the forum page but are sent to the doctor for his comment and reply. Once a reply has been sent, both the question and answer will post to the forum page.

Questions are shown in Red and the answer from Dr Firth is shown in Blue. Once an answer is posted, it is then possible for other users to post additional comments, these are shown in black.

New Question      
topics
Replies
Views
Last Post
Question - Hi - About three years ago I suffered an episode of SVT (very fast heart rate 150bpm +) which required reversing in A&E. I had tests following thi ...

Question - I am a keen diver but have recently been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Am I still allowed to dive?
my email address is marycberry@gmail.com

Question - Have recently had a thyroidectomy & am now permanently on thyroxin. Will this have any affect on my ability to continue with my regular dive holi ...

Question - How do you become a dive dr?
I'm a final year medical student, currently completing my rescue diving course and wondered how you get into dive medicine? It sounds like a great ...

Question - Hi there. I am a 28 year old male who has alsways wanted to take up diving. Unfortunately several years ago on my first attempt I found I was unab ...
I can equalise in my left ear with no problems.

Question - i suffer with high blood presure at the moment and i take medication for this at the moment it is fine but would this condition ruin my dive activ ...

Question - Blocked ear valve!!
After diving it sometimes takes upto a week for my ears to clear i get a feeling as if they have still got water in them. i dived last about thre ...

Question - Diving with MS: Should they dive?
Person diagnosed 6yrs ago with relapsing imitting MS and had issues for 5yrs before dx. Been diving (AOW nitrox) for 8yrs. Uses rebiff (44) a ...

Question - Hi There Ive got a feeling that i never sent my last message. Sorry if i did. My question was that i had DCS Type 2 three weeks ago (bubble in ...

Question - I'm a DM wanting to do my ODC later this year. I've just had a bad ear infection which resulted to having a cholosteatoma. I'm having surgery for ...

Question - Help! My boyfriend & i are going to sharm el sheikh on holiday in August. He has his heart set on diving but has a perforated ear drum that he's ...
30 August Wednesday, 8:13 PM
Question - I went on my first sea dive and I was fine whilst the boat was moving but once it stopped and I started getting kitted up I was baddly seasick and ...
Question - guys need advice is there a weight limit on learnign to dive. as im a large guy but want to learn to go on holiday next year and dive..
Question - my girlfriend has a bad ear infection twice a year for the last five years ,
for the last five years, since giving up diving through it (the dive tutor?loaded her up with rocks because she had buoyancy trouble!!)any way twi ...
4 August Friday, 11:43 PM
Question - Family of five, four divers, someone always gets an ear infection on holdiay - all four last year in Maldives, possibly due to high level of plank ...
4 August Friday, 11:43 PM
More forum pages:
Go to page- << Prev Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next Page >>
Disclaimer:
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.