Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.

All questions are answered by Dr Oliver Firth, one of the doctors at the London Diving Chamber. Dr Firth has had a wide variety of experience as a doctor in both the UK and Australia. He writes regularly for ‘Sport Diver’ Magazine and gives talk on hyperbaric medicine.

Because of the confidential and sensitive nature of advice given in the medical forum, questions DO NOT post direct to the forum page but are sent to the doctor for his comment and reply. Once a reply has been sent, both the question and answer will post to the forum page.

Questions are shown in Red and the answer from Dr Firth is shown in Blue. Once an answer is posted, it is then possible for other users to post additional comments, these are shown in black.

New Question      
topics
Replies
Views
Last Post
Question - Hi Dr Jules, bit of advice if you dont mind. My brother in law, aged 28,ex-smoker, has a VSD which he has had since birth and this does not see ...
4 December Monday, 7:10 PM
Question - Hi, I am 33 and I have completed 38 dives in the last year, I have only ever been able to equalise by swallowing rather than holding my nose and ...
Question - I had two lung operations as a teenager because of collapsed lung( spontaneous pnemophorax). Since this time, I am now 56, have remained very heal ...
Question - Hi We have just returned from the Maldives. Two weeks ago I lightly touched a piece of Green hard Coral and was left with a small graze on my ...
I would be grateful if someone could get back to me ASAP as I feel this is not a question my GP could answer.
Question - Diving after Thrombosis...
Hello there, Basically, in summer 2003 my partner suffered a DVT and recovered. He became an instructor in late 2003. He last dived in February t ...
Question - i had a cystectomy 5 years age now aged 52 can i dive safely
i now wear a bag attached to my side to collect urine because i no longer have a blader,would diving cause any problems with the bag or associated ...
Question - I have a very mild form of epilepsy, I do not lose consciousness when I have my attacks, would this prevent me from taking up diving.
Question - Around 10 years ago my right ear was blocked and had to be syringed. Since then whenever I fly, my right ear takes a few days to unblock but this ...
please respond to my new email dawnwalker78@hotmail.co.uk I have been unable to locate a profile on this site that will allow me to change my ema ...
Question - can you dive after sucessfull surgery for repair of pneumothorax??
when i was 18 i had some spontanious pneumothorax. this was sucessfully repaired with thoroscopic stappling of bullae and plural abrasion. after a ...
Question - Dr I had a cataract operation some 6 weeks ago. I know I can not dive for 3 months however does this include work in a pool as I am an instructor ...
Question - Sorry, didn't tick the 'read the terms' box before posting my question, so not sure if it got to you. My partner is 50 and is and epileptic. His ...
Question - Dear Dr Eden, I have wanted to learn to dive for a long time but I have never got around to it. I am ready now, however in the last few weeks I h ...
Question - Is it possible to have decompression symptoms 5 days after diving (back pain) are are they most probably not connected? dive profile :oxygen 21% ...
Question - My query follows on from MaryCBerry's. How do I find a 'dive doctor' in my area and obtain a 'suitability to dive medical assessment'?
Have been diabetic for past 34 years, controlled by insulin injections and diet. Never dived before, but am looking to learn this winter in Red S ...
Question - Shortness of breath /unable to breath after Laparotomy
I under went a Laparotomy in April this year and since then have suffered from shortness of breath on occassions ,I have dived several times down ...
16 October Monday, 8:12 AM
More forum pages:
Go to page- << Prev Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next Page >>
Disclaimer:
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.