Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.

All questions are answered by Dr Oliver Firth, one of the doctors at the London Diving Chamber. Dr Firth has had a wide variety of experience as a doctor in both the UK and Australia. He writes regularly for ‘Sport Diver’ Magazine and gives talk on hyperbaric medicine.

Because of the confidential and sensitive nature of advice given in the medical forum, questions DO NOT post direct to the forum page but are sent to the doctor for his comment and reply. Once a reply has been sent, both the question and answer will post to the forum page.

Questions are shown in Red and the answer from Dr Firth is shown in Blue. Once an answer is posted, it is then possible for other users to post additional comments, these are shown in black.

New Question      
topics
Replies
Views
Last Post
Question - * Message deleted by admin.
That's a fairly classic story of what happens when the sinuses and eustachian tube are congested. Unfortunately diving with pre-existing congestio ...
-
2 July Monday, 9:52 AM
Question - Hi Dr Firth A few weeks ago I had an unsuccessful op to repair a PFO following 'undeserved' decompression sickness. I had a further bubble stud ...
21 June Thursday, 1:18 PM
Question - Hi I have just been to have my eyes tested. (have been wearing glasses for 5 years now) I am aged 52 and just recently taken up diving last year. ...
20 June Wednesday, 10:40 AM
As long as the infection has been treated to your dentist's satisfaction then you should be good to go. Once the root canal work has been done the ...
19 June Tuesday, 12:57 PM
Question - Light Hearing Problems and Infections after diving and still got them 9 Months later.
I had a outer Ear Infection in both ears approx 9 months ago, which i can only assume is from the diving, 9 months later and not dived since i sti ...
5 June Tuesday, 5:13 PM
Question - Hi I am thinking of training for a diving instructor qualification. I am however colour blind. Will this affect my ability to pursue this path ...
4 June Monday, 1:36 PM
Thanks for the query. You can dive with a temporary filling as long as the dentist is sure there is no air space within the tooth. Any air space c ...
-
31 May Thursday, 9:49 AM
Question - Greetings noble physician. Later this year I'm going away for a week on a southern Red Sea liveaboard and would appreciate your suggestions fo ...
I seem to be somewhat prone to the dreaded otis externa.
29 May Tuesday, 1:20 PM
Question - Hi I have never been diving before but was planning to learn next month. I used to have a perforated eardrum due to repeated ear infections as ...
29 May Tuesday, 1:17 PM
Question - Hi Dr Firth I had a severe spinal bend in August last year which was treated with several sessions in a hyperbaric chamber. We'd done a weekend's ...
24 May Thursday, 9:43 AM
Question - my 21 year son hopes to go diving in thialand this year.3 years ago he had a car accident and one of the injuries he sustained was a pneumothorax. ...
21 May Monday, 9:01 AM
Question - Hi I am a female diver, I am fairly new to diving after only logging 13 dives. I am overweight for my height but have never had any problems with ...
18 May Friday, 12:08 PM
Question - can i still dive if i am taking reductil or xenical?
14 May Monday, 11:58 AM
Question - Will I need the medical?
I am just filling out my R.S.T.C. Medical Statement to determine whether I will need to have a medical before starting the practical area of my PA ...
10 May Thursday, 1:31 PM
Question - Hi, I have been diving regularly for about 10 years with no health problems until recently. I am 44 and had the BSAC sport diver medical at my ...
2 May Wednesday, 4:09 PM
More forum pages:
Go to page- << Prev Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next Page >>
Disclaimer:
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.