Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.

All questions are answered by Dr Oliver Firth, one of the doctors at the London Diving Chamber. Dr Firth has had a wide variety of experience as a doctor in both the UK and Australia. He writes regularly for ‘Sport Diver’ Magazine and gives talk on hyperbaric medicine.

Because of the confidential and sensitive nature of advice given in the medical forum, questions DO NOT post direct to the forum page but are sent to the doctor for his comment and reply. Once a reply has been sent, both the question and answer will post to the forum page.

Questions are shown in Red and the answer from Dr Firth is shown in Blue. Once an answer is posted, it is then possible for other users to post additional comments, these are shown in black.

New Question      
topics
Replies
Views
Last Post
Question - Can I dive with an atiral tachycardia?
I have done 13 dives in the last two years and in August I was diagnosed with an Atrial Tachycardia. The palpitaions started in October last year ...
30 October Tuesday, 9:43 AM
Question - What is the minimum requirement for someone to administer O2?
Our club has recently purchased an O2 kit, and with divers ranging from OW upto Rescue diver with EFR (a couple being Red Cross Trained) but none ...
29 October Monday, 2:32 PM
Question - i have asthma (mild) and only need my inhalers when i have a cold or a chest infection which isnt often and i have never had an attack , can i st ...
i do running and swimming on a weekly baisis and do not need my inhaler during regular exersise and on holdiay i did snorkling on aregular basis i ...
29 October Monday, 1:58 PM
Question - I have a recently healed corneal ulcer , having accidentally poked myself in the eye with my fingernail removing a contact lens about 4 weeks ago ...
10 October Wednesday, 9:49 AM
Question - breast lift (mastopexy)
I am considering having the above (with no implant) and wondered what time to leave after the op before I dive. The consultant recommends 6 weeks ...
24 September Monday, 2:50 PM
Question - Hi Doc, I've had a few migraines, not recently, but over a period of time. There does not seem to be any obvious trigger. I do not take any preven ...
19 September Wednesday, 4:24 PM
Question - Hi, can you please tell me the difference between decompression illness and sub-clinical decompression illness as I am a little confused. Best ...
29 August Wednesday, 1:01 PM
Question - Hi Doc. Im looking at going for my commercial diving cert but recently, after a medical had a high blood pressure reading.
I had a reading of 160/113. pulse rate of 80. Was told to go and have a 24hr bp monitor fitted. Had the bp monitor fitted for a whole weekend and ...
20 August Monday, 3:49 PM
Question - Hi. I have been taking propranalol slow release for many years for essential tremour. Will I be allowed to dive?
13 August Monday, 9:38 AM
Question - Hi, my partner and I are visiting Egypt in a few weeks and plan to do a lot of snorkling. My partner is looking to purchase a prescription mask (s ...
9 August Thursday, 10:30 AM
Question - Hi, I'm in the recovery phase of Viral Labyrinthitis at the moment, feeling nearly back to normal but only a week since I was back on my feet afte ...
9 August Thursday, 10:14 AM
Question - Malaria tablet- It appears many GPs have different opinion as to which are OK for divers. Couuld anyone advise which are most common/used. I am ...
24 July Tuesday, 9:31 AM
Question - Hi Doc As a beginner about to take the plunge, I had an RTA about 20 yrs ago and suffered a partially collapsed lung (neuma thorax??) and was not ...
13 July Friday, 1:07 PM
Question - Hi there, in 2003 when i was 24 i suffered from a stroke (clot not bleed). The cause was unknown. I suffered temp right sided paralysis but am no ...
11 July Wednesday, 3:25 PM
Question - hi doc,before i could do my open water i had to see a doc in cyprus,i have spondulotious of the kneck n sufer with tenis elbow,he said i was ok to ...
11 July Wednesday, 3:18 PM
More forum pages:
Go to page- << Prev Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next Page >>
Disclaimer:
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.