Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.

All questions are answered by Dr Oliver Firth, one of the doctors at the London Diving Chamber. Dr Firth has had a wide variety of experience as a doctor in both the UK and Australia. He writes regularly for ‘Sport Diver’ Magazine and gives talk on hyperbaric medicine.

Because of the confidential and sensitive nature of advice given in the medical forum, questions DO NOT post direct to the forum page but are sent to the doctor for his comment and reply. Once a reply has been sent, both the question and answer will post to the forum page.

Questions are shown in Red and the answer from Dr Firth is shown in Blue. Once an answer is posted, it is then possible for other users to post additional comments, these are shown in black.

New Question      
topics
Replies
Views
Last Post
Question - can a HSE Diving Doctor refuse to do a HSE?
30 May Friday, 3:14 PM
Question - On my last dive my neck swelled up i felt no dizziness and was running about like an idiot.. Like i normally do.. on the second dive of the day du ...
30 May Friday, 3:10 PM
Question - i have epilepsy it is medicinally controlled and i havent had i fit in nearly 4 years, i have been to my local g.p and i keep getting conflicting ...
the medication is lamotrigine and i have 250mg daily other than that i am in good health.
22 April Tuesday, 2:21 PM
Question - I had a spinal bend in 2004 because of a pfo, which has since been closed. Now my hips are to be relined and my knees ache. is this bone necrosis ...
22 April Tuesday, 9:29 AM
Question - Hi my partner and I are travelling to Thailand to do the Open Water Padi Dive Course. Im very concerned about doing the course as I have always h ...
Further to this I have recently been diagnosed with Migraines - they arent very bad but could this affect my diving?
10 April Thursday, 3:02 PM
Question - i am due to have an op under GA for bilateral vein removal in my legs as they are too close to the surface for laser. I have been told I will be ...
9 April Wednesday, 4:10 PM
Question - I want to complete an EFR Instructor course but i've been told i need to complete the EFR CPR+First Aid course first, by our dive instructor.
I'm already a trained first aider with the Red Cross, which is renewed every 12-24 months as part of first aid cover my bike club supply to Nova f ...
9 April Wednesday, 4:01 PM
Question - Hi Doc. i gave up diving a year ago for various reasons. one of the last dives i did was a t stoney cove. i had been around the pit for around 30 ...
31 March Monday, 10:31 AM
Question - hi there, I have recently fractured my L-3 vertebrae in a horse riding accident and was wondering if this would affect my ability to learn to div ...
14 March Friday, 2:27 PM
Question - Dear Doctor Firth I ahve a friend who would like to learn to dive, he has mild OCD. He he is on anafranil - 25mg once a day. Would you advise f ...
14 March Friday, 1:19 PM
Question - is citalopram dangerous to take whilst on nitrox ive dived all year on it thank you
25 February Monday, 11:54 PM
Question - will i pass a hse medical if i take 60mg of citalpram as i dont want to pay out if its a no no thank you
currently learning divemaster
25 February Monday, 11:45 PM
Question - Good morning Dr Firth.. My question is:- My buddy has just had GROMMETTS inserted in his ears..Will this infect his diving??
24 February Sunday, 8:57 AM
Question - * Message deleted by admin.
Diving with straight SSRI's doesn't pose the same risk, so Prozac or others (such as citalopram) might be a better choice if the depression is mil ...
-
24 February Sunday, 8:57 AM
Question - * Message deleted by admin.
Although venlafaxine in the lower daily dose range (18.75 to 75 mg) blocks reuptake of serotonin more than reuptake of noradrenaline, all SSRIs an ...
-
18 February Monday, 4:25 PM
More forum pages:
Go to page- << Prev Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next Page >>
Disclaimer:
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.