Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.

All questions are answered by Dr Oliver Firth, one of the doctors at the London Diving Chamber. Dr Firth has had a wide variety of experience as a doctor in both the UK and Australia. He writes regularly for ‘Sport Diver’ Magazine and gives talk on hyperbaric medicine.

Because of the confidential and sensitive nature of advice given in the medical forum, questions DO NOT post direct to the forum page but are sent to the doctor for his comment and reply. Once a reply has been sent, both the question and answer will post to the forum page.

Questions are shown in Red and the answer from Dr Firth is shown in Blue. Once an answer is posted, it is then possible for other users to post additional comments, these are shown in black.

New Question      
topics
Replies
Views
Last Post
Question - Hi Doc, In 1983 I was in the army taking a class 3 diving course and I suffered a "bend" which left me with aseptic bone necrosis in my left hip ...
30 March Monday, 7:11 PM
Question - hi oliver cant seem to get a answer for this...other that masks with corrective lenses can you wear contacts lenses with a standard mask
30 March Monday, 7:05 PM
Question - Question: My girlfriend had/has "distal colitis". Last she took some hormone treatment. Now she is much better and its almost gone. Still few drop ...
30 March Monday, 7:03 PM
Question - am nearing the end of my rescue diver course. my question is, a diver suffering from DCI, should they be taken first to the nearest hospital for e ...
25 March Wednesday, 9:36 AM
Question - How soon can he return to diving ?
My Husband has recently had a disc decompression (L4/5) and a wallis spacer inserted. He is recovering well. Given no complications how long shoul ...
24 March Tuesday, 9:49 AM
Question - Dear Doctor, About 5 years ago I had a clot in my ankle. since then I have been on warfarin to keep the blood thin. Can you tell me is there any ...
My dosage is about 7mg. I have not had any ongoing problems with this since I started taking the warfarin.
2 March Monday, 2:45 PM
Question - Hi, On 16-01-09 I had an operation to remove multiple pelvic abseses following a burst appendix. My surgeon says I am ok to start diving again. ...
24 February Tuesday, 1:34 PM
Question - I have Addison's and Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypothyroidism), and I have the PADI OWD certification. Besides taking adequate doses of my medicine ...
16 February Monday, 12:55 PM
Question - Hi, my girlfriend is keen to become a diver but unfortunately she has asthma and I'd like to find out whether she will be able to dive properly an ...
On a recent trip out to Egypt, we consulted a doctor out there who after some scrutiny passed her fit to do a try dive with a restriction that she ...
30 January Friday, 4:51 PM
Question - Hi, I did an experience dive in Thailand about two years ago and had trouble equalising but eventually got down and all was ok. For a couple of d ...
9 December Tuesday, 1:50 PM
Question - I'm an 18 year old male who is planning on learning to Scuba Dive in Egypt. I have the problem that when i get up quickly i get a head rush. this ...
3 December Wednesday, 1:25 PM
Question - I have recently started a course of medication pescribed by my GP for stress related depression. The drug is called Sertraline. Am I safe to dive ...
Sertraline (Lustral):
7 November Friday, 3:58 PM
Question - I WAS HAVING PALPERTATIONS IN JANUARY. ON HAVING TESTS DONE I HAD TO UNDER GO CATHETER ABLATION PROCEDURE WHICH WAS DONE AND WAS A SUCCESS. DO I H ...
7 November Friday, 1:48 PM
Question - Malaria medication for West Papua/Irian Jaya. I have just e-mailed this to e-med.co.uk too so you really only need to answer me once! I am n ...
Norethisterone 5mg/daily I will be taking Norethisterone for the entire time I'm away (starting 3days before departure). My periods are irre ...
28 October Tuesday, 9:58 AM
Question - hi there, in february 2008 a small aneurysm 1-2mm (a carotico-ophthalmic one) in my brain was detected during a cerebral angiogram which was done ...
7 October Tuesday, 3:37 PM
More forum pages:
Go to page- << Prev Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next Page >>
Disclaimer:
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.