Medical Forum
This not an emergency service, in case of a diving incident, please contact your local Coastguard, nearest recompression chamber or emergency services.

All questions are answered by Dr Oliver Firth, one of the doctors at the London Diving Chamber. Dr Firth has had a wide variety of experience as a doctor in both the UK and Australia. He writes regularly for ‘Sport Diver’ Magazine and gives talk on hyperbaric medicine.

Because of the confidential and sensitive nature of advice given in the medical forum, questions DO NOT post direct to the forum page but are sent to the doctor for his comment and reply. Once a reply has been sent, both the question and answer will post to the forum page.

Questions are shown in Red and the answer from Dr Firth is shown in Blue. Once an answer is posted, it is then possible for other users to post additional comments, these are shown in black.

New Question      
topics
Replies
Views
Last Post
Question - Dear Dr. Flirth, I'm new in diving and did 8 dives within 18m depth. I feel congestion in my left ear after each dive and a pain after the 8th ...
6 January Wednesday, 5:04 AM
Question - Offshore medical
I have the hse diver medical and i'm doing my offshore survival shortly and I'm wondering do I need a seperate offshore medical before I can work ...
4 January Monday, 3:30 PM
Question - Dear Doctor Firth Would a reapired inguinal hernia that was treated at 6 months prevent me from taking a PADI Open Water Course? Would this be ...
19 November Thursday, 7:14 AM
Question - Hello. Can your GP sign your medical form for diving course, I am just starting but have some medical conditions which I feel my GP would have all ...
Have Polycystic kidneys, no current problems, kidney function and other tests OK, it is a hereditary disease in which some in my family show sympt ...
6 October Tuesday, 4:58 PM
Question - Hi Dr Firth, I have a small umbilical hernia that needs treatment at some point in the not too distant furture. How will that effect my diving. My ...
30 September Wednesday, 11:09 AM
Question - Hello i am an 18 year old male advanced open water diver going to thailand to do a divemaster course and then work in thailand as a divemaster. 4 ...
24 September Thursday, 2:42 PM
Question - Hi Dr Firth. Hope you will be able to tell me, if, and hopefully, when i'll be able to dive again. ...
I last dived a few months ago.After we had packed the gear away and were going for a brew i was "sqeulching" water out of my right ear with m y fi ...
17 September Thursday, 12:06 PM
Question - Joint Pain !!! Help to Diagnose.
Hi, I am a new diver looking for some advice please. I started diving in May in Turkey doing my PADI Open water. I came home with the bug an ...
17 September Thursday, 11:46 AM
Question - hi there, i recently returned from a diving trip only dived to 6m max and whilst under water i noticed that some water had entered my left ear. af ...
14 August Friday, 9:33 AM
Question - Hey i just returned from sharm el sheikh on wednesday morning where i had gone to do my padi upto and inc open water diver i had a "try dive" 2 ye ...
im a 33 yr old male slighly overweight and i smoke and i did have a huge blow to the ear in question about 6 months ago
10 August Monday, 9:26 AM
Question - Hi Dr Oliver, My wife and I would like to learn to dive and are wondering if we should have a medical before enrolling for a c ...
27 July Monday, 5:37 PM
Question - Doctor, regarding the question on the divers medical statement Do you "have a family history of heart attack or stroke"
I'm now 45, my father had a heart attack aged 60, caused by angina and brought on by stress; he survives to this day (70 now). My grandparents all ...
23 July Thursday, 10:54 AM
Question - Hi i am just wondering if there is any hse approved diving doctors in the rep. of ireland
22 July Wednesday, 4:35 PM
Question - I just read in my course book (PADI) for the Enriched Air Nitrox Diver certificate that steroid and thyroid hormones could increase the susceptibi ...
22 July Wednesday, 4:30 PM
Question - Doctor, regarding the question on the divers medical statement Do you "have a family history of heart attack or stroke"
I'm now 45, my father had a heart attack aged 60, caused by angina and brought on by stress; he survives to this day (70 now). My grandparents all ...
22 July Wednesday, 4:20 PM
More forum pages:
Go to page- << Prev Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next Page >>
Disclaimer:
The views expressed by Dr Firth & Dr Jules are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by Dr Firth , Dr Jules, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be medically correct.