Search the Forums

Key Word

Forum
International Forums > Africa Forum > Diving Mozambique
Author 
posted : January 31, 2010 Post subject: Diving Mozambique
Hi everyone!

Me and a friend are due to land in South Africa on June 1st 2010. We are primarily in Africa to watch the world cup but i am a keen diver and have heard amazing things about diving in mozambique. We are embarking on a 12 month trip around the world so our budget does not allow us to stay at high end accomodation or participate in high end trips. Budget accomodation or ideally camping grounds, is what we are looking for.

As for the diving i am currently researching possible sites we would like to dive, but any reccomendations would be welcomed. My friend is not a qualified PADI diving so we would be looking for a dive company to accomodate his open water course and my fun dives. I am a qualified rescue diver.

We would be very willing to undertake any work or assistance for any dive company to subsidise the costs of our dives. We are on a very tight budget and have to be clever with our resources! i know it may sound a little cheeky but if you dont ask you dont get!

If any one has close links with people at diving companies and could pass on their details i would be eternally greatful!

If anyone can help in any way responses would be greatly appreciated.

P.S if anyone has any information on getting from Johannesburg to Maputo please get in touch.

Many Thanks
Mike Speight

Angus
posted : February 12, 2010 Post subject: Diving Mozambique
Mike, To be honest getting to Maputo isnt going to do a lot for the diving you want. You can dive - it is good there - at Ponta do ouro

Have a look at this site it lists various ranges of accomodation from camping to upmarket.

http://www.africastay.com/mozambique_ponto-do-ouro_self-catering.html

I think the things you have heard about diving in Mozambique are probably regarding further north Tofo, Inhambane and Vilancoulos. The diving up north is more 'untouched' and there are several operators up there. I dont think Mozambique is the kind of country you want to try hiking or anything like that, look into flying up there from Johannesburg.

For other opitons in South Africa - excellent diving as well have a look on here:

http://www.destination-scuba.com

If you are looking to work for a dive centre, you may be more successful trying Aliwal Shoal near Durban or Sodwana, thats my thought rather than necessarily being the actual situation. There is a lot of competition for work in that part of the world - 25% unemployment.....

Cheers

About us | Disclaimer & terms of use | Contact us | Site News | Suggestions | Link to us | Advertising Info
© 2006 Personal Print Ltd