The Underwater Centre


Commercial Diving Q and A Forum

New Question
Specialist Forums > Commercial Diving Q&A Forum
Posted : May 16, 2016
Im currently serving in the Army and have done so since 2008. I am looking at a career change and seriously considering a career as a commercial diver. I plan to save over the next three years to get the funds and do some other courses that might be beneficial. Then go on to get the quals. Does anyone have any advice that they can give about anything that may be usefull for me to know or suggest courses. I was thinking of doing various welding courses and rigging courses. Would this help? Many thanks.

Posted : May 23, 2016
If you are considering a career in diving then any surface skills you hold would be beneficial when applying for future jobs on completion of your course. Here at The Underwater Centre we get some candidates attending who have maybe done surface welding/inspection or construction work prior to progressing onto undertaking diver training packages. These skills can be transferrable and beneficial to list on your CV when applying for work. Our Diving Packages 9-13 weeks cover Scuba, Surface Supplied and Top-up to work both inshore and offshore on completion and the training begins with aptitude dives in our 1.5mtr seawater onsite tank which allows a controlled environment to start training. The longer packages also include welding, cutting & burning, rigging/slinging and 3.1u CSWIP Prep Inspection which would further enhance your CV on completion.
If you have never dived before then I would suggest you maybe look locally for a leisure dive or attend our Introduction to Commercial Careers Day which run every month here at The Underwater Centre. You can try a surface supplied dive in the tank, speak to the instructors and see round our unique facilities. We not only run commercial diving all year round due to our sheltered location but also carry out ROV & Closed Bell training along with subsea trials which makes observation and training to the same realistic conditions as working offshore. We are ELCAS registered so this will help towards course fees depending on your level of entitlement when looking to attend the full course.
Good Luck
Answer provided by Alf Leadbitter, The Underwater Centre

Alf Leadbitter
The views expressed by the author are their own and the publishers accept no liability for the advice and views expressed by the author, or other users, which are provided as a general service to divers. Users are warned that secondary posts are the views of other users and may not be technically correct.
About us | Disclaimer & terms of use | Contact us | Site News | Suggestions | Link to us | Advertising Info
© 2006 Personal Print Ltd